Monday, February 9, 2015

No flowers for valentine's day please

Don't bring me flowers for Valentine’s Day. Have you noticed the price of flowers on Valentine’s Day?  Early in our marriage my dear husband brought me   gorgeous bunches of red roses for Valentine’s Day.  Then one year just prior to another Valentine's Day I noticed the sign in the flower shop on my way to work.  A bunch of roses for Valentine’s Day was $50.00. Fifty dollars! I couldn't believe what I was seeing. Did I not pass this same flower shop a month ago and they were selling a bunch of roses for under $20.00? Did my eyes deceive me?  Say it isn't so
.
 You see I have always considered myself a practical person - sometimes to a fault. We were just starting out, raising a young family and I felt the cost of roses was highway robbery. He loves Valentine’s Day and so as a compromise I would say bring me a plant instead so I can put it in my garden in spring. This way the money doesn't fade away in a week. That was then, many years ago and I have no idea what a bunch of roses for Valentine's Day cost today but every now and then he can't resist the urge to sneak a few roses in on Valentine's Day.  Well, at least we can afford it now but I still remind him that I would rather have a plant.

 But the no flowers policy for Valentine’s Day is only one of my objections to Valentine’s Day spending.  I do not think that Valentine’s Day is necessary for a number of reasons and I have continually nagged my husband not to make a big deal of the day. Love should be a year round exercise so I see valentine day as a cop out for many who feel they can delay gestures of love until once a year. I would rather have Valentine’s Day once a month in the form of something special like a date night or those daily gestures of love like helping out around the house, fixing the broken window and all those little acts that make me feel valued and loved.


The only ones that really benefit from Valentine’s Day are the businesses. They tempt you with diamonds, chocolates, reds and pinks, and all the fluff and frills for one day of love. And have you noticed that Valentine’s Day is primarily marketed for women and the pressure is on men to spend to let the woman know she is loved?  Commercials like "he went to Jared’s" or "every kiss begins with kay" are all geared toward getting women to salivate over expensive jewelry and men to empty their pockets to satisfy these wants. 

No comments:

Post a Comment